To support the Northeast Asia Nuclear-weapon-free zone (NEA-NWFZ) with a Three-plus-Three Arrangement (3+3)
The World Federalist Movement/Institute for Global Policy (WFM/IGP) announced today the launch of the Coalition for 3+3 to support the Northeast Asia Nuclear Weapon Free Zone with a Three-plus-Three Arrangement.
Founded in 1947, the World Federalist Movement-Institute for Global Policy (WFM/IGP) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan international organization committed to the realization of global peace and justice through the development of democratic institutions and the application of international law.
The Coalition will develop and implement an action plan to formalize 3+3 by forging political will among parliamentarians in Japan; organizing bi-partisan 3+3 study groups within parliament, hosting regular study sessions with parliamentarians, bureaucrats, experts, and non-governmental organizations; sounding and contacting parliamentarians of six-party talk member countries (Japan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, United States, China, and Russia), with the ultimate goal of gaining agreements for a 3+3 treaty as a comprehensive approach to solidify the Zone.
The approach towards 3+3 would include the following agreements and actions:
- Termination of the state of war
- Creation of a permanent council on security
- Mutual declaration of no hostile intent
- Assure equal rights and assistance to meet national energy needs
- Termination of sanctions
- Establishment of a NEA-NWFZ
These agreements and actions will be achieved by advocating for a 3+3 treaty with the following chapters:
- A declaratory chapter to terminate the Korean War and to provide for mutual non-aggression, friendship, and equal sovereignty
- A declaratory chapter to assure equal rights to access all forms of energy, including renewable energy, and to establish an NEA Energy Cooperation
- An actionable chapter to agree on a treaty to establish an NEA-NWFZ that includes all the necessary provisions for a Nuclear-weapon-free zone
- An actionable chapter to establish a permanent Northeast Asia Security Council, which will ensure the implementation of a Comprehensive Framework Agreement (CFA) and open discussions of the region’s other security issues
To learn more about the work of the Coalition, please visit www.3plus3.org